Nope, this is me processing the benefits and pitfalls of List Making. I've never been much of a list maker. I mean really can't you get 2 jobs done in the time it would take to find a pen (that actually works!) and a piece of paper and write down all the itty bitty little projects lined up for today??.....Dress Children, Make Breakfast, Pack Lunches, Meet School Bus, Sort Laundry......

But recently I've been struggling with that "Spinning your Wheels" feeling. I suppose that's fairly common among people in my stage of life but it was really starting to bug me. So I did it, I found a pen, borrowed a piece of paper from somebody's notebook and sat down with a cup of coffee and a mission to write down ALL those things that just aren't getting done. Not the everyday grind kinda stuff but the "big" stuff. (e.i. Put away Christmas cards, start potty training the munchkin, tackle the chaos in the recipe drawer......) I hafta say, I was AMAZED! I had a instant feeling of control! Now instead of tying up my limited brain power with remembering what needed done and when, I could focus on gettin 'er done! That answers that question, Right? Well, maybe not. I did get some major traction. Some of the things on my list had definite time limits (Valentines Cards really should be made before March 1st) and I'm convinced they wouldn't have all gotten done without the list..... BUT suddenly I turned into something far more task oriented then my "wing it" personality could identify. I was too busy to bother with "insignificant" stuff like meal preparation and laundry. Going to bed 3-4 hours after everyone else became the "norm." I can't say I was terribly pleased with the "New and Improved(?)" me.

So I'm back to square one, apparently making a list is not the ultimate answer. But perhaps in all of that I did find something a bit more useful to consider.... BALANCE! Isn't that really what so many things in life are all about.
**Balance between expecting too much of my kids and encouraging them to be the best they can be.
**Balance between serving "junk food" for the occasional dinner on a busy night and living on Fruit Loops for the next 5 years.
**Balance between keeping the house in a reasonable state of organized chaos and having time to play Candyland and not letting things spin completely outta control or being OCD about when the toilet was cleaned last.
**Balance between finding time to be a good friend to other ladies in my life or enjoy hobbies occasionally and unselfishly serving and caring for my family.
Balance the checkbook, balance the baby in one arm while folding laundry with the other, balanced meals.....
BALANCE! BALANCE! BALANCE!!
So, I may just make a few more lists to keep things under control around here.( Forgetting to buy milk at the grocery store is not really advisable; especially if you're living on Fruit Loops. =) But I've come to the conclusion that it's gonna be an ongoing project. I don't expect to cross "keep life balanced" off my list anytime soon.

No comments:
Post a Comment