this.....
...but it tells you everything you need to know. 1970's flowered wallpaper and nasty brown carpet has become
this...
I wanted to do two colors on the walls and I was a little worried about getting the paper stripped off and what the old plaster walls would look like underneath if/when I did. I priced bead board for the bottom half, but I really didn't want to spend that much and I knew that that would mean I'd need a lot more help from the hubs. My perfect solution.....paint-able bead board wallpaper. Awesome stuff!!! The hubs was skeptical at first but by the time it was all up even he admitted that it looked pretty much like the real stuff. I've already made a list of other places in the house I want to use it.
The whole color scheme of the room was based on these pillows, which I made from skirts that I found at the thrift store. Ruffles and pink are sort of fun. A-hem, yeah, just a little bit! :)
This little table is from a yard sale with a skirt made from a netting canopy, also from the thrift store. Project total $3.
I haven't really fallen for the "owl trend" lately but since this one was the perfect color I thought he added a nice touch. I found the fabric flowers for a buck each in perfect shades of pink and brown. I pretty much scarfed up all the ones they had. They have a pin and a clip on the back. Pillows, curtains,shelves, corners.....the possibilities are many....love them!
The floor is still a work in progress. I decided that most anything was better than the ancient-ugly-who-knows-what's-been-living-in-there carpet. So we tore it out.
We pulled up a little corner first and it seemed like the boards underneath were pretty nice, but we had a back-up plan. There is a large bound carpet in the attic from a former house that would work just fine, I thought. Maybe in the future we'll remember to measure it first. It's a couple of feet to big for the room. And when we got the old carpet out we found that yes, the boards underneath were in decent shape but someone had painted the edges gold. Nice! I am not ready to begin a sanding/stripping project anytime soon. Maybe one day I will repaint the whole floor or we will put new carpet back in but for now we have the stripey look with a $5 yard sale throw rug in the middle. No, it's not ideal, but am I sorry we took the carpet out?? Not for a minute!
Yes, that door goes out to a charming little balcony/porch. It's one of the "character" parts of my old house that I love. But, we have already decided that there will be barbed wire and padlocks up there before she turns 16. A daddy's got to do what a daddy's got to do you know! :)
And the new look includes a nice clear dresser top. We packed away the diapers today. Somebody is growing up way to fast!
| In case you're wondering, winter weather has not arrived here, but it's important to be fashionable at all times you know! |
love it & the little one? too, too adorable! Esther
ReplyDeleteLove the room!!...And the girl is just to cute!:) Lisa Martin
ReplyDeleteI love it, very well done. You can come do Jasmines bedroom:) Lorraine
ReplyDelete