Everydaymoments

Everydaymoments

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Lucky 13

For a lot of people 13 is considered an unlucky number. I'm not really sure who decides these things but it's what I've heard. Let me tell you "13" made me feel pretty lucky this week. We were a couple weeks late but that's okay. The hubs and I spent 2 days celebrating 13 years of us. A lot has changed in those 13 years. Most of the time "us" means 7 now instead of 2. Some days we are so tired and busy and grumpy that we almost loose sight of those star-y eyed kids on our wedding pictures and some days we wonder how it can just keep getting better.


 I've learned to refill the ice cube trays and he's learned to make the bed. I've learned that it's important for the truck to be shiny more than once a month and he's learned that laundry day only comes once a week, not on demand. (Somebody's Mama spoiled him that way! :) I've learned to cook things that don't come out of a box and he's learned that rice, fish, soup, broccoli.....(the list keeps growing) are all  eatable, quite tasty actually! We've made big and small decisions together. We've made big and little memories together. We know better what makes the other one feel special and we know better which things really tick 'em off. We've faced tough stuff together and both come out stronger. Some things we both learned the hard way and sometimes we gave each other perspective and saved ourselves some trouble. It's the up and the down, the give and the take, it's real life together!


  It's the way we like it!

If we have it all figured out? Nope. If someday we'll look back and think "what did we know then?" Probably.  If we're in this for another 13 plus? For sure!

Our actual anniversary was a little on the 'unlucky' side since we happened to be several states apart. But this pretty package showed up at my door and helped to save the day.



But first, a great way to make a girl feel lucky is to have a birthday (the hubs, not mine) and an anniversary to celebrate only days apart. That way we get not one but t.w.o. dates in the span of a week or so.
Yup, that's lucky!
I got a babysitter for the afternoon and evening but all my grand ideas fell flat so we just gallivanted around the town. We enjoyed a tasty steak dinner thanks to a gift card and then severely over-tipped the waiter. I don't know what I was thinking. I'm better at math than that. Must have been those stars in my eyes! :)






We did a little shopping and then strolled the streets of this sweet little town. I love these pictures they make it look like we traveled to a quaint, little, far-a-way place. The truth.....we were 15 minutes from home. It is a neat town though. One where you can purchase a delicious cup of Cafe Mocha that tastes more like a rich dessert than a mere beverage.


And then if you walk across town you can watch the sunset in the park.



And just feel lucky to be together!




 And since I'm super lucky to have a sister who will take on the troops, all 5 of them, we enjoyed a...
beach getaway


just a few days later.

We left early Sunday morning, (you can do that if you don't have to pack up the kids) and headed for our favorite beach. We found a charming little coffee and pastry shop and got coffee and breakfast from the a-little-over-the-top-excited-giving-out-free-advice barista. It was a great little shop with it's own coffee roaster taking up almost half the dining space, so many tasty looking treats, and a dozen different brews of coffee to choose from. It was all so charming and captivating that I forgot to take a picture. How is that even possible?? I have no idea!


The beach was probably fuller than I've ever seen it that day but since we got there early and there were no kids in tow we headed way out away from the crowd. I hardly new what to do with myself. No one needed my help. No one put sand on my blanket. No one begged for drinks and snacks. My husband laughed at me and started speaking of things like ADHD. Who Me? No! My body was just a little confused about how to handle that much relaxing and besides, I had to move around to keep the tan lines even ya know! ;) Books, magazines, sand, waves, sun, breeze, junk food and good company. It was blissful indeed!





I told my hubby that I wanted to try out some local places to eat. We typically just stick with what we know when we go away like this, because it's just easier, but for some reason I was in the mood to scout out something new this time. The morning coffee shop was the first one and it was most definitely a success so we took a second shot for dinner. The guy at our motel recommended a place just a block or two from our room so we took his advice. Well, let's just say it wasn't exactly what we were looking for. It was a little on the pricier side so we decided to split a dinner. I've been trying for years to convince my husband that this is the perfect option because it saves us $$ and room for dessert. I almost had him convinced, we've done it a few times with great success, but I may have shot myself in the foot with that little bowl of rice with a strange sauce and few lonely shrimp that was delivered to our table. Oh well, we experienced the local, that was our goal. We left there looking for somewhere to fill our still hungry selves. Cold Stone Creamery.....Out of Business. The Fractured Prune Donut Shoppe....Closed. Panera Bread.....not where the GPS said it was. One, Two, Three strikes, You're Out! We were almost ready to get coffee at Wawa or something equally as romantic when we finally found the missing Panera Bread. We ordered coffee and pastries. Still Hungry! Shoot, why don't we just have us a chicken sandwich for a bedtime snack? Yeah, that should do it! Oh the memories!

Wow, that was exhausting! Six fluffy pillows....Yes Please!!!


Monday morning we tried another local coffee shop. This time I remembered the picture. But the first one wins, hands down! Tastier, cheaper and so much more charm.


Coffee and breakfast on the beach, it's our little tradition. This is not my favorite picture, my eyes are open a little bit, I think. There's just something about the beach early in the morning, coffee in hand, before the crowds show up, that we love! It was cloudy and cooler the second day, but what did we care. We could relax and do nothing just as well!


Wait, did I say "good company?" Someone may have been a little bit absorbed in his book series...just a little bit!


But I'm pretty sure he still has his eye on me.....
I think I'm the luckiest girl  e.v.e.r!

No comments:

Post a Comment