Everydaymoments

Everydaymoments

Monday, September 3, 2012

Good Bye Summer--Hello School



get up early. check.
healthy breakfast. check.
new lunchbox. check.
new backpack. check. (unless your mom found the one you used last year to be not nearly as thread bare as you wanted her to believe. sorry, kid. one frayed strap, that doesn't do anything anyway, is not cause for me to dish out another $30.)
colorful folders. check.
cute super cool erasers. check
bus schedule straightened out. check.
452 pictures to endure for your crazy mom. check.

The kids each had a different 'first day' this year. crazy yes, but kinda nice in a way. It gave Mom a chance to break in easy. Let me tell you, practice makes perfect  does not necessarily apply to putting kindergarteners on the bus for the first time. It's getting harder, not easier.


Mr. Z. started on Monday. It's been 5 years since I put him on the bus for his first day of Kindergarten, (maybe that's the problem, I'm just a little rusty. Or maybe I'm just turning into an old sap. Yeah, probably that!) My handsome 4th grader. I don't think he was all that excited about going back to school. He may work harder than the entire 4th grade combined this year, but he's up for the challenge. We only hope that Mama's patience holds out until all the homework is finished.

Once he was on the bus and on his way, my little buddy and I did a couple of errands before we headed to kindergarten visitation. The poor boy could hardly wait. He kept reminding me what time it was and asking how long it takes to get here from there. He was paranoid we'd miss it. He has been looking forward to this school thing all summer. I've been thinking of reasons why he shouldn't/can't go. We went to registration, they said he was ready. But I told him that doesn't count because the doctor has to say he's big enough too. Three shots later, without a single tear, that excuse didn't work anymore either.

Tough Guy! Anybody who gets 3 shots in one day deserves an ice cream cone!
I tried desperately to convince him that it would be boring, he'd miss his mama, and he really did not want to go, but it didn't work. Just wait until we go visit and see what it's like, said I, you probably won't like it. The puzzles, play dough, cookies, stories and games did not help my cause at all!




He has a fabulous teacher. She's sweet and fun but always in control. She had the most organized visitation ever. A whole list of fun ways to learn their way around the class room all the while sneaking in ways to see what they  know and teaching them stuff when they had no idea they were learning. I guess 20 plus years of experience will do that!

And in the end, even after we visited, he decided he still wanted to go. He was up and dressed in record time and ready for that bus. It comes at 7:05.


Mama pretended to be all brave and excited but she sure is gonna miss that cute little helper! It's a good thing she had friends to go out to lunch with to keep her mind off the subject that day too.


This guy is headed off to his first day of middle school. T.H.A.T. is crazy!! He was excited about a new year too. Last year didn't end on the best note so I was a little concerned about that. He's playing soccer this year for the first. I think that has helped him ease back in and find his place in the class a little more smoothly.

The big boy is in private school so he got 2 extra days of summer. Wednesday morning they all three  got on the bus. Aren't they a good looking crew?




Unfortunately this is far more normal (at least they think it is) than the one before it. Really guys??


I am not really ready for the land of alarm clocks and homework and must get to bed on time. I love the freedom of summer and I love having my kids here with me. But I don't get to choose. It's good to have a routine again and I am happy for the return of peaceful, quiet nap times. You win some you lose some. We'll do what we have to do and make the best of it. Here's to the best year yet!



No comments:

Post a Comment