Everydaymoments

Everydaymoments

Monday, August 6, 2012

One Thing is Needed.....

Really? Only ONE? Because I can think of quite a few.

Right at this very moment, in my house, there are umpteen loads of laundry in various stages of sorting, washing, drying and foldedness. There are dirty dishes waiting in the sink and the drainer is stacked to award winning heights with dishes waiting to be returned to there cozy cupboard homes. I have no idea what the dinner menu might look like (it's 4:43.) Not to mention the toilets that never got cleaned last week and the floors that tell tales of what was served for breakfast. Oh and if that's all finished before nap time is over (Ha!) I could always go finish that painting project that's been dragging on and on for e.v.e.r!


I can't say I'm 'worried and troubled' about any of this. My family might appreciate if I was a little more concerned, at least with what will be filling their growling bellies and when. I doubt they'll notice the bathroom scum anytime soon. That's seems to be solely my department! But it's possible that all this 'stuff' is distracting me from what is needed.

I just finished a book study on this book.


Let me just tell ya, it's been a long time since I read a book that I recommend as highly as this one. (And no, I'm not getting anything from anybody to tell you that.) We all know the story in the Bible. The one where Mary sits calmly listening to Jesus while Martha plays the hostess with the mostest.  I happen to enjoy hosting and entertaining so I've often wondered how to make those verses practical for me. I mean, Hello! wasn't there a house full of hungry people, somebody was gonna have to do something, those fish weren't gonna fry themselves. I loved how the author acknowledged that in this book. Jesus didn't  reprimand Martha for serving, it was her attitude that needed help. I can serve myself silly, cooking for new mama's, cleaning the church, wiping noses and bottoms, volunteering at 74 different wonderful events, hosting friends and neighbors.........the list is never ending. The problem is when I do it with that "why isn't anybody helping me?" attitude. And it sure doesn't take long for that to show up when a Mommy is tired, busy and a wee bit overwhelmed.



So what's a girl to do?  Yes, Jesus tells us clearly to be hospitable. We are supposed to be servants. We are called to love 'hands on.' But my friends, we are not called to do it ALL! (Go ahead let out that big sigh of relief!) The answer is in knowing exactly what it is that God has for me to do right now. And the only way to find that out is to spend time with Him. I've had sweet well meaning friends tell me things like, "God knows your heart, even if you're busy with your little ones and don't have time for devotions." And I do believe that is true, to a point. He is a God of grace, but the bottom line is, If my relationship with Him is important, I'll figure out a way to spend time with Him. I'll crave more of Him. I'll look forward to one on one time with Him and miss it when I don't have it. There is NO way to get to know Him and His will for my life without spending time with Him.  I've got some lots of growing to do here yet but a new seed has been planted, there is a new vision for what could be. It's another balancing act. Service with the wrong attitude is worthless but worship without service is not any better.



Sometimes I am called to serve my family "behind the scenes," cleaning the toilets when no one else even notices, keeping the drawers magically refilled with clean clothes and serving up something to eat again. But sometimes I am called to give up my to do list for the day. To let the dishes sit and the weeds grow so that I can reach out and encourage a struggling friend or show (not just tell) my children that I love them with a story, a game, or a tickle fight. Sometimes I am even asked to step out of my comfort zone and teach a class or organize an event but I am not asked to do every good thing that flutters through my mind.

We live in a culture that says go, go, go. We pack our schedules full and then squeeze in a few more things. Those who aren't running full speed ahead are looked at as lazy. We got that "does not eat the bread of idleness" business down pat. There are countless good causes to support and good deeds to be done. But all of the sudden we find ourselves involved in so many things that we're not doing any of them well and our attitude is soon smellin' like that pile of dirty socks the husband is waiting for someone to wash and "magically" return to his drawer. So today, take time to do the one thing that NEEDS to be done. Sit down and have a cup of coffee with Jesus.  And don't worry, the laundry piles will wait patiently until your finished.



3 comments:

  1. good post, Rachel! & don't we all get caught up in driving ourselves crazy by too many plans, even good ones, at times? having a Mary heart sure takes a lot of focusing... Esther

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this great post! Right now I specially need to remember this and I am grateful to you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I write because I need the reminder myself, not because I have it all figured out. Blessings to you in your journey!

      Delete