| funding. |
And distraction by other projects
(more on that later)
New before and after pictures are sadly missing from my camera.
So today you're getting the special family treatment, a back door pass.
We don't have an attached garage so we use the back door in an effort to save the beige carpet inside the front door. This tiny room is home to the laundry as well. This room is a grand example of the strange way things were done in this house. This was obviously a porch at one time, the window behind the washer, it provides a rather unwelcome view into the downstairs bathroom. Lovely. And that cabinet on the wall is super cute but so impractical. If you are not at least 6 ft. tall don't store anything you actually use in it 'cause you won't be able to reach it. Eventually I think it needs to come down and be hung somewhere decorative with the doors left open. I love the finish inside!
My boys are really good about taking shoes off when they come in but I new we needed a system to keep us from developing Mt. Shoemore out there. I was inspired to try this soon after we moved in and it's working perfectly!
I bought this shelf at a yard sale for a buck or two. At the time I was picturing it in the toy room with books, games or DVDs stacked on it. But I had know idea we'd be getting a full wall of built in bookshelves with our toy room, so no need for that. There are 4 sections and 4 boys. That works out well. 99% of the time the little girl is still carried in and out so she doesn't need a space yet. I'm thinking that one day she my need one like this just for her though. Compartments for pink, yellow, brown and silver?? or maybe one for flip flops, boots, sneakers and dress shoes......=)
The floor in here was ugly,old, broken linoleum. I had this large rug that I had been storing for a long time. I'm not a pack rat and most things do not survive unused in my house so long as this did, but somehow this managed to survive not just the years, but 4, yes I said FOUR, moves. It was just the thing for here. It was the perfect width to slide the one edge just under the washer and dryer. I did a little fancy cut work on the one end around the door frame and with a few heavy duty staples it's "installed." I love that it's a very short, tight carpet, almost like indoor outdoor carpet. I keep my straw broom out here and in a few seconds I can sweep out what little feet drug in.
Another oddity! The washer does not fit in front of the hook ups, so I am left with this corner with pipes and hoses exposed. I stuck this cabinet in to try to hide it a little. The cabinet was also a $2 yard sale find (covered with a can of spray paint of coarse!) It makes a great place to store laundry supplies, small tools etc. The rest of my "odd corner" provides space to keep my giant bucket for making laundry soap and a small hamper for people (or more specifically, person, aka Mom) who are too lazy to carry dirty laundry upstairs that will just be carried back down soon. The hubs says one day he will put a nice big laundry tub in there for me. Now that would be great!! I never would have thought I even wanted one of those, but now that I had one for a year and a half I'm pretty sure I need one! And a place to wash dirty hands and faces right inside the door would be ideal too.
So that's what you'll find if you come to my back door. Although I may have staged the photos just a bit, or a the very least chosen to take them within 30 seconds of when I finished cleaning out there. From here you head into the kitchen which you've already seen....but you might as well stay for a cup of coffee while your here!!
No comments:
Post a Comment