Everydaymoments

Everydaymoments

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Choosing to See

It doesn't come as a surprise to most of you that being a Mommy is not an easy job. Oh sure there are the days, when it's cold and rainy outside, that we get to stay inside all day (in our pj's if we want too) while the rest of the world trudges through the elements to "go to work." There are times when our "job"  is to rock a sweet cuddly baby. And there ARE countless rewards in this job that are worth so much more than any paycheck.


But there are also days (most of them actually) when we are expected to be chief organizer, scheduler, educator, dietitian, nurse, maid service, disciplinarian, transportation coordinator, counselor and judge. And that's just the morning! :) We are on call 24/7. We never walk out the door on Friday with the promise of not having to deal with _______  again until Monday morning. And to top it all off, this "job" comes with a bit of pressure, we are training little people here. We are responsible to equip them for life as an adult in the real world. We are not just accountable for what we tell them, we are also quite likely to find our own actions imitated and repeated, good or bad. Just a LITTLE bit of pressure going on here!



I have to admit that sometimes it would be nice to go to bed at night knowing I could stay there, warm and cozy, until the alarm rings. Sometimes it's frustrating when the house that I spent all day cleaning is in shambles by the next morning. Once in a while it would be nice to go out for lunch with the girls without having to coordinate a mini circus of babysitters and bus stops. And there's nothing like having to cook dinner (for the littles) before you go out for dinner (with that handsome guy they call your husband, but whom you've barely spoken a full sentence to in a week without being interrupted.)



Yes, this Mommy stuff is NOT for the faint of heart but it is truly one of the best gifts ever given to me. And it is just that, a GIFT. I was reminded of this recently as I connected with a sweet friend, whose arms still ache with emptiness. I did nothing to deserve it.  I have not completed special training. I don't have a paper that says I'm qualified to do this. But I have been trusted with the greatest responsibility ever. I know this in my heart, but sometimes my weary  body needs to be reminded.  It's so easy to get caught up in the "this is just how life works" mentality. "Lots of people have kids." "Kids make messes and press limits." "I just need to get my exhausted self through till bedtime."  "That's just how it works." And let me just say here that I'm not here to make you feel guilty if you've had for having those thoughts. We've all been there, but we can't stay there.


I am challenged and inspired to see the blessings in my life through the challenges. Every part of life has good things and bad. Where is MY focus?? Do I CHOOSE to see the good or get lost in the tough?? Some days it's hard to see much of anything  through these sleepy eyes and sticky messes but I have a choice to make!! And sometimes I need a sweet friend who is kind enough to remind me how immeasurably blessed I am!

3 comments:

  1. Great post, Rachel! Do you, by chance, know my friend, Ann Voskamp? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, you truely are an amazing women, for which we daily thank God. Thanks for being such a wonderful wife to your handsome husband, who happens to be our son, and for being such a wonderful mother to 5 of our ( GREAT ) grandchildren!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very wise words there, my friend! And how dare you post a pic of Rachel's & remind me again that I've been wanting to go there for one of their yummy crepes for too long & just haven't taken the time.;) Maybe I'll pay them a visit next week. :)

    ReplyDelete