Everydaymoments

Everydaymoments

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Do you need anything???



While out scrounging and searching for bargains on one of my recent yard sale excursions I heard these words proclaimed across the street,
"A cricut, I really NEED a cricut!!"
(If you're not familiar with the scrapbooking world and you're imagining creepy, crawly critters here, let me explain. A cricut is a cutting machine used to produce all kinds of cool letters, shapes and embellishments for scrapbooking.) If you are a scrapbooker and you own a cricut, rest assured that I have NOTHING against them, really, I think they're awesome. I am a firm believer that we all make our own choices on what's important and where to spend our money. If you choose to spend yours differently than I do I'm okay with that. It's a good thing really, who wants to live in a "cookie cutter" world??
There is just something about that phrase that grabbed me as pathetic!! 
The world we live in is becoming more self absorbed and more selfish every day!
Have I bought into this craziness??
What is it that I "need" that sounds ridiculous?? I need a latte....I need shoes that match this outfit....I need a vacation....I need (fill in the blank....) 
How often do these words tumble out of my mouth without a second thought.....thoughts of all the things I DO have and all the people that DON'T have the things they really need to survive.


We not only have plenty to eat, we have some to play with too.

They have literally played with these for hours...much cooler than play dough, apparently. And much easier to sweep up too!
I've thought a lot about needs vs. wants over the past 2 years. It started when we sold our 4 bedroom 2200 square foot house and through an odd series of events,  moved into a 3 bedroom 1700 square foot rental.
Was it smaller.....of course.
Was it ideal......not really.
Did adding baby #5 improve the situation.....NOPE.
But do we have everything we NEED ??? 
ABSOLUTELY!!
On top of that, I have a friend who is raising/homeschooling/providing a loving home for, 11 orphan/foster children  in Haiti with only the support they have raised on there own from family and friends. And my brother and sister-in-law  in Ghana  live next door to people who do not have enough food to eat.

Perspective, Perspective, Perspective!!! 
 
Oh sure, there are still days when I compare my little 1800's house with it's mold, bugs and dirt to my friends houses that seem clean, spacious and lovely.....days when going out for dinner would be more fun and less work than cooking macaroni and cheese....days when I wish we could take our children on trips around the country.....days when being discontent sounds inviting. (just for a little while)

But on the days I choose to compare "my world" with those who don't have a roof over there heads on a rainy night....those who never knew the feeling of crawling into a soft bed after working hard all day.....those who have children who are hungry and can't do anything about it.....those who had "everything" and in a moment lost it all.

Those are the days when I realize how incredibly blessed I am.
In the end, packing a box of groceries to ship to Haiti,  supporting someone who is taking Jesus to the other side of the world, or even donating a box of extra clothes to the local goodwill....this is what life is really about!! It's what we really need, to make a difference in the world!

Am I suggesting that we all move into one bedroom apartments and eat rice every meal??
No.
Am I criticizing the people who spend money to travel or on hobbies?
No.
Am I going to feel guilty the next time I go to the grocery store when there is still food in my pantry?
No.
We are blessed! We live in American! We are children of the King who loves to give good gifts!

But I am suggesting that the next time you find yourself comparing yourself to someone else that you choose carefully who it will be. The next time you find yourself "needing" something, think about how it would sound shouted across the street. Think about what is really important to you not just today but forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment