Everydaymoments

Everydaymoments

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

{Thick} Homemade Yogurt

As promised, the accompanying yogurt recipe.

I always said I wouldn't make homemade yogurt. I can almost always get it cheaper at one of our many local discount stores than I can make it. And my few attempts before always turned out some slimy goop that was more drinkable than spoon friendly. Why bother??

Until the day I acquired 2 free gallons of milk that I knew wouldn't get used unless I got creative. I knew just who to call. My dear friend Lynelle who shared her tasty (thick) homemade yogurt during our visit last summer. She kindly shared the recipe too.

I've never made a batch that didn't turn out and well, let's just say I don't make near as many trips to the discount store as I used to. It's just that tasty!


Ingredients

1 gallon milk
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 Tbsp unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup cold water
2 Tbsp vanilla
1 cup sugar (additional) or 1/2 tsp. stevia powder
3 oz. plain yogurt

Heat milk and 1/2 cup sugar in a large pan to 180 degrees.



 Meanwhile, soak gelatin in cold water.


 When milk reaches 180 degrees, remove from heat and whisk in gelatin mixture.
Then cool to 110 degrees.
(Hint: The fastest way I know to do this is to sit it in a sink of cold water.)
Add
Vanilla, 1 cup sugar, and yogurt. 
Whisk until smooth.


Fill jars and close tightly.
Fill a large cooler with enough hot water to cover the jars.
Close the lid and leave for 12 hours.
(I do closer to 15 for a bit more of the tangy/sour flavor.)



Refrigerate until well chilled.
I prefer to leave it sit in the fridge unopened for a few days. I think this produces a thicker result than using it immediately.

Optional: If you want flavored yogurt add 1-2 tsp. of flavored gelatin per quart jar.

Note: this recipe makes approximately 4 quarts of yogurt. As you may have figured, we go ahead and double it around here. Thus the pictures of 8+ jars.


Local strawberries will be coming soon to this area. 
Mmm!
The shipped in ones will work in the meantime.
Now I need a bedtime snack!

No comments:

Post a Comment