Everydaymoments

Everydaymoments

Thursday, May 16, 2013

{my favorite} Homemade Granola

It's a perfectly gorgeous 'summer' day here but it started out dreary and rainy so I started it out in the kitchen. At breakfast time yesterday some not very impressed children informed me that the granola was gone. AGAIN, I might add. Two batches in less than two weeks. I've been making granola off and on for years but over the past 6 months I've been tweaking and combining and rearranging recipes and I think I've finally got it right. At least if the {empty} jar on the counter is a fair judge. So today, I'm sharing it with you.

You will need.


8 cups oatmeal (you can use rolled oats or quick oats, I like a combination)
3 cups rice krispie cereal
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup chopped or slices almonds
2 cups shredded coconut
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Measure the first 6 ingredients into a large bowl. Stir.

Create jobs for over-eager little people {as needed.}


In a heavy pan melt butter, brown sugar and sweetened condensed milk over low heat. Stir occasionally until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.

Pour syrup over oat mixture and mix well. Spread on two large trays {with sides} and bake at 275 for 1 hour. Stirring every 20 minutes. Cool completely before storing.


.
This recipe makes about 20 {1 cup} servings. I go ahead and triple it so there is some left for tomorrow. Okay, maybe it's not quite that bad but I do wonder were it all goes.


Tomorrow's project--Homemade Yogurt. I'll share that one too because they are best combined into a yummy parfait. Add a few fresh berries and you have the perfect breakfast, lunch, dessert or bedtime snack. So simple you can make them in seconds and so good it's always "just what I'm hungry for!" On second thought, maybe I do know where it all goes...


No comments:

Post a Comment