Several months ago a friend of mine introduced me to Essential Oils. She had also just recently been introduced to them and her words to me were, "Why didn't anyone ever tell me about this before?" She invited me to her home to learn more about what they are and I was simply curious, so I went. So much information was shared that day that I can't begin to share it here. (Although I wish I could, 'cause it's just so fascinating!) I did some additional investigating on my own and now I'm the one saying, "Why hasn't anyone told me about this before?" I mean seriously, EO's are mentioned over 150 times in the Bible, this is not something new. Maybe I'm the one that's been living under a rock and you all have been 'up' on all this for a long time now. If so, feel free to skip down to the end and tell me what your favorite oil is and what you use it for. I love to hear 'real life' stories! Or you can try to explain to me why you never told me about them. :) If you're like me and you've never heard of them but you're curious, I'd love to hear from you too. I'm considering having someone come here (to my house) and share if anyone is interested or just curious.
| My little collection of oils. There are only a couple hundred more to choose from. |
Here's a bit of my story....
Ok, so technically I had heard of them before but only as used for scent in homemade cleaning supplies etc. And I wouldn't have had a clue where to find them other than a good ol' google search. (And let me just say here, as a side note, EO's are NOT created equal, so that would not have been a great choice.)
So much of what floats around the 'www' these days is about chemicals and eating clean, sugar free and gluten free, make your own [you name it] and healthy(er) alternatives to everything. I know some of you have made big changes in your lives/diets and you've challenged me to do the same. But right now, the reality is, this house is not going to be 'anything free.' Between my lack of knowledge and time and the fact that many of those alternatives are rather pricey, all combined with the fact that there are 6 taste testers here with some strong opinions, it's just not feasible for us right now. So while I'm doing what I can and making little changes wherever possible, hoping they add up in the long run, I was thrilled to discover that THIS is something I CAN do for my family.
I've noticed and maybe you have too, that Doctors these days are quick to fix the symptoms. Sometimes that 'fix' creates another issue which is also treated by covering up those symptoms. It's a big messy spiral. And while I still believe in Doctors and I'm thankful for their expertise, our culture does not do Health care, we do Disease care. There is a big difference! I love that EO's work both ways. They are preventative as well as curative. I also love that they are 100% natural, good-bye to (at least some of the) chemicals around here.
So the million dollar question you're asking right now is, "yeah, but do they work?" Let me start here by saying, #1. I'm Miss Skeptical when it comes to this kind of stuff, I'm gonna have to see it myself to believe it. That is if I even bother to try it at all. And #2. I'm Miss Cheapskate. You won't find me handing over my precious, hard earned $$ for the latest, greatest scam. But once I heard some of the stories of how people have used EO's I immediately started a list in my head of things in my family that I'd like to experiment on, with my own high blood pressure issues at the very top of that list. To date I have seen impressive results on 2 of those issues, a third one is still in the proving phase and there are at least one or two more I'd like to tackle but haven't yet. That doesn't include the 'minor' things I've used them for, fever, sore throat, headaches...for example. I'm starting to feel like an iphone commercial..."yup, there's an
One of the first things I did was purchase a big old fat Reference Guide. I've only skimmed the surface of it but it's here now anytime I need it. Like I said before, there is just so much information and it's important to be informed! If you have questions, I'll do what I can to answer them but I'm still learning too. Feel free to message me if you like. And I really would love to hear from you. Have you heard of EO's before? Do you use them? How? Or is this all "Greek" to you?
That other stuff you should know: I am not getting paid anything by anyone to tell you this stuff. I'm simply sharing with you what I wish someone would have shared with me a long time ago. I am not an expert on any of this so do you're own research. You can start here. I am not a dealer or a sales representative. I don't sell any of this stuff but I'm more than happy to help you in any way I can. Just ask!
I'm so with you! Only this year have we joined the bandwagon with oils too! I also have a diffuser that I use my oils in mainly. We have HARDLY been sick this year, and I give part creadit to the diffusser. And if one of the kids DID get a cold, they begged to have it in their room for the night :) I have used alot of eucalyptus oil, and that is my favorite, but have also used orange, lemon, and lavendar. I love putting in boiling water after i clean house. It makes everything smell so good! I buy mine from beeyoutiful.com and LOVE them!!
ReplyDeleteWilma King
I have a diffuser too but I tend to use my oils directly (topically) more. I haven't tried eucalyptus yet though. Do you use it mostly because it smells good or for something else?
DeleteI just got into the whole oil thing this past winter. And I absolutely love them. But am still learning what each can do for me for us. I use peppermint oil when the boys have fevers and it DOES work! :). Teatree oil is antibacterial and I have a really sensitive face, so I cant use any kind of soap. Teatree oil has been amazing for my face. Oh and lavender... love that stuff. I use it on burns, cuts, rashes,etc... and it does amazing stuff :). Anyway, I hope you fun learning with this stuff! -Karen G.
ReplyDeleteI haven't tried Teatree yet...What kind of oils do you use Karen? And how have you guys been? It's been awhile!
Delete