Everydaymoments

Everydaymoments

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy Hearts Day (& the battle of the Mamas)

Some days, well, most of them, actually, there is a struggle going on here. A struggle between the rational, conservative, realistic Mama and the idealistic, "sure, why not," over achiever Mama. The rational Mama knows that Mama's can. NOT. do. everything. She knows that sometimes it's just not a good idea to try to squeeze in one more thing. And she knows that everything planned for today's to do list is merely a suggestion and could be over-ridden at any moment. The other Mama, she knows that if she waits until the laundry is finished, the floor are clean and the kids are happy, there will never be a project completed, ever. She knows that sometimes you just have to keep on going when you're beyond exhausted. And she knows that memories do not make themselves. And so goes the constant tug-o-war...do more...don't try to do it all...just one more thing...really, enough is enough...but that would be fun, the kids would love it...but we don't have to do every. single. thing. we see on Pintrest...oh sigh!

This week the "try to do it all" Mama won. There has been years when I suddenly realized that Valentine's day was less then 24 hours away and I had no clue what I was going to do about it. There was the year I joined the throngs of men at the card racks in the Dollar store on Valentines day to purchase cards for my kids and the year I decided at 4:00 p.m. that if I cranked out a heart shaped meatloaf for dinner that that counted as celebrating. This year however I had it in my sights well ahead of time. I think Pintrest is to thank for that. All those organized people pin cool things the first week in January and remind the rest of us that it's coming our way too. But really, you don't HAVE to do all of them!

First there is the matter of valentine's for 6th graders. Apparently there was a meeting held amongst the 6th grade class wherein the decision was made that went something like this, "We're too old for those cutesy little cards that say 'Stuck on You' but we still want the candy!" There are also strict rules as to the usage of hearts. i.e. Moms are supposed to make heart shaped toast for breakfast, but one must n.e.v.e.r give anything to a classmate with a heart on it, because "that's just weird!"

I anticipated at least some of this so I suggested we make something homemade...cookies, brownies, rice krispies (but definitely not cut with heart shaped cutters :) He finally decided on this...


He did all the dipping himself. And did an impressive job of it I must say.

And while we're on the subject of valentines. Somewhere, sometime, someone has upped the ante on kindergarten valentines. Me. I look for the biggest, cheapest box that doesn't have creepy characters on and includes the sought after sugar rush in it's smallest form. Not so with other Moms these days.


This boy came home with a grocery bag of loot today. It's insane! He didn't find it to be over the top at all.

Mama even made a few treats for her friends because little paper polka dot bags are not to be resisted and left on the Hobby Lobby shelves. It just wouldn't be right.


This little project (again courtesy of  the great P) was really much easier than I thought, perfect for the crafty impaired. I avoid paint projects at all costs so they thought they were really living it up.



My mission today was to make every possible heart shaped food. I learned 2 things. #1- It takes A LOT of time to cut everything you eat with cookie cutters. #2 - Valentines just might be the most wasteful day of the year in our house. I felt like I threw so much food away in the form of scraps today. I recycled as much as I could but... I produced heart shaped pb&j for lunch but I did draw the line when the little man wanted me to cut his grapes into hearts too. I even tried the heart shaped hard boiled egg trick but you will not  find any pictures of the results here. *Ahem,* diced eggs are just as tasty!


The requested 'heart shaped toast' for breakfast.

My husband was not home for dinner tonight but I decided to treat these fine little men (and the little miss) to a special dinner.

some were more excited about it than others


raspberry tea
rolls
salad
ham balls (with heart shaped cheese)
heart shaped roasted potatoes
broccoli  
(that's a hard one for the heart shapes too)
heart shaped jello

and


chocolate raspberry trifle 
w/ chocolate covered strawberries 
for dessert.
Mmm!

I think they enjoyed it. The tablecloth sort of stayed on the table (but is now appropriately stained in shades of pink and red.) They only played with the fire (candles) a little bit. And perhaps a manner or two was dusted off and put to use.

And at the end of it all.
This boy declared "I'm stuffed!"
(I did not know that was possible these days!)

And this Mama is exhausted but my heart is happy! The memories are made. The fun has been had. But you can expect the reasonable conservative Mama to talk me out of most anything for the next day or two. Except I should probably still wrap the gift I bought for my Valentine before he comes back tomorrow afternoon.
I've kinda missed him. a little. just a little!

No comments:

Post a Comment