Everydaymoments

Everydaymoments

Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Thrill of the Hunt....

  It all started eleven years ago. I clearly remember heading out early one Saturday morning. All. By. MYSELF! My firstborn was 5-6 months old at the time and I think it must have been one of the first times I had gone anywhere alone since his birth. I'm sure it was not thee first but it was just what I needed that day. I felt like I was off on some grand adventure that morning while Daddy and the little guy were fending for themselves back home. My "grand" destination?? YARD SALES!! Uh-huh, all this excitement over fifty cent treasures from someone else's junk pile. I came home that morning and declared (in a sweet, just a suggestion, kind of way, of coarse :) that Saturday mornings from hence forth shall be Mommy's morning out. My sweet husband (who is quite possibly the most unselfish guy around) graciously agreed.



Around here "yard sale season" is only a few months in the Spring and Fall. The rest of the year, I stay home and make sure there is some kind of hot breakfast deliciousness on the table for Saturday morning breakfast. But everyone in my house knows that, in April and May, Mom will not be here when they wake up and it'll be the standard granola for breakfast on Saturday morning. Every once in a while a small person will try to sneak along with me but it almost never works. There are two reasons for this....1. It's Mom's morning out. A couple of hours of "recharging" time for Me. And 2. The number of McDonald's happy meal toys available for purchase at such sales is out of control and they are NOT welcome in my house. Oh the things little boys need when it can be purchased for only a quarter, or better yet, discovered in the free box.

If you have opportunity to implement such a routine at your house I highly recommend it!

A couple of important things to remember....


**She gets up before dawn to prepare for her household......(Prov. 31:15)

Not only do you get to enjoy gorgeous sun rises, but the early bird truly does get the worm.


Here's the proof! 
I got to this yard sale just as the lady was unpacking this from it's box. 
She was practically giving it away and I was the lucky recipient!

**Take your quarters!
 Purgers everywhere will thank you for not clearing out there entire change stash at 7:05 a.m.

**Don't be afraid to "make an offer" but do it kindly and respectfully. If you get there half an hour before the advertised starting time don't expect someone to slash their prices in half for you. If it's almost lunchtime and you will be sparing them packing things up to take to Goodwill, that's a whole different story. If you offer a lower price and they decline be okay with that, it's their stuff, they get to set the price they are asking for it, ridiculous or not!!

**Beware of the inner hoarder that will suddenly rear it's ugly head somewhere between the free box and the quarter table. It may be cute, different, or just an incredibly great deal but if you don't have a use for it....leave it there! 

** Having said that, an eye for what could be is also must have. Be on the look out for things that can be up-cycled or re-purposed. An old travel chest makes an awesome coffee table.  Sheets or tablecloths are cheap fabric for lots of projects. And never forget the power of a coat of paint. Get creative and the sky is the limit!


**Always take an extra dollar or two for egg rolls. Yes, egg rolls are perfectly acceptable for breakfast as long as you've been up for a couple of hours first! :) If you live in this area, you will find at least one egg roll stand, the smell will be tempting and you will be famished from your early morning excursion.

**Aside from the sunrise and the great deals you can also count this as your exercise routine for the day. Wear comfy shoes/clothes and be ready to walk (at least if you'll be treasure hunting in a development, because by 7:30 the whole place will be one giant traffic jam!)

**Go often. Don't expect to find every thing you're looking for in one morning. I have gone out some mornings when it wasn't worth getting out of bed. But, there have also been mornings when I just had to quit because I didn't have a dollar left to spend. Yes, I know it's an investment of time but since it's my "Me" time too it doesn't feel like a total waste if I come home without amazing finds. (Besides, I got my exercise too. :)

**Don't overlook the tools and golf clubs. Bringing home a Dewalt cordless drill or a pair of almost new golf shoes will remind your babysitter (a.k.a. Daddy) that this is a worthwhile investment. I speak from experience!



 I realize this is a privilege not everyone enjoys. There are husbands who work on Saturday mornings.... towns where there are not people who are willing to set out their junk in the front yard and wait for people to come pay them for it....and lots of other reasons.... I am grateful!! God has provided many needs and wants for my family through yard sales. I have found everything from decorative items, to furniture and the kitchen stove, to snow boots and pants, and lots of thing in between.

 I have often felt a bit guilty/selfish for running out on my family to get my bargain fix, but recently it occurred to me that this is really my job. When it suddenly got toasty warm this spring, my daughter had no summer clothes. One trip to the mall and I was reminded really quickly that clothing my family well would not be possible without the time I invest in yard saling. I joke that my family never wears anything new (there is of coarse the occasional clearance sale items or short notice needs) but they do not suffer for it. Almost new Nike sneakers for $2 or the brand new, Walmart, "all man made material," type for $20....no question here!

[this is an old picture. ignore the baby stuff.  i just wanted to show you 
an example of the clothes i've found. this was all from the same morning.]


She has no fear of winter for her household, for everyone has warm clothes.
Proverbs 31:21.

It sure is nice to be able to go to the closet and pull out the next size coat, shoes, jeans or whatever when something wears out or is outgrown. And knowing it cost me a fraction of the store cost helps too! And if you happen to find a Willow Tree Nativity set along the way just consider it an extra blessing 
from God. Yup, I really believe He cares about the little stuff and He loves to 
give good gifts to His children!

3 comments:

  1. Love your posts, Rachel! You are suo good with words! Even if I did not know you, I would be entertained, at times amused, and oftentimes encouraged!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Elaine, and thank you for your kind words! Hope your day is a great one!

      Delete
  2. Love that Willow Tree nativity!I rarely go yard-saling anymore(it's just me and my man)but I definitely would have bought that nativity set!

    ReplyDelete