I took the sweetest little five year old to Kindergarten registration today. Really? How did we get here? It sure doesn't seem like five and a half years ago that I put his big brother on the bus for Kindergarten and then waited impatiently for him to arrive.
I'm not the sappy type. I didn't cry when my firstborn went to school the first day. Or when the second born went off to preschool that same year. (I was actually home alone a couple of mornings a week for a few months.) But they were both excited to go and I was excited for them. I just tend to be more of a "it happens to all of us so make the best of it and enjoy this season while it's here," kind of person. Every season has it's good and bad, it's ups and downs, it's I can't do this and it's I'm gonna miss this, parts. But this little guy, he's been my "mama's boy" from the beginning. He's my snugly, quality time, cuddle bug. He's more than anxious to strike out on his own Kindergarten adventure but I'm not in much of a hurry. There may be a change in the "I'm not a crying Mama" trend just soon.
This was actually my first experience with Kindergarten registration too. How is that possible? We moved in May, so the first boy was not registered in school until sometime during the summer months. We went in for a tour but there was no "formal" assessment or orientation. The second boy was registered through a series of meetings etc. to accommodate for his learning support helps. So we set out today both wandering how this whole registration thing would go down.
The final word....The boy wants to go, tomorrow!! They explained to us that they are used to kids having some anxiety the first few days and how to help our children work through that. They didn't explain to us what to do if the child is bouncing off the walls trying to figure out (every day) how soon it will be till he can go to school too.
And since he's my 'quality time' boy, we finished out the morning with lunch. Just the two of us, and "french fries with LOTS of salt." :o)
And now we're officially experiencing Easter break. (How is THAT possible? I thought Christmas was just last week?) I warned the boys that they are gonna have to work hard while they're off school. They are rising to the the challenge and we are declaring war on the weed farm that is our yard/flower beds.
No comments:
Post a Comment