Everydaymoments

Everydaymoments

Friday, December 30, 2011

Good vs. Best

While the rest of the world is moving on to New Year's resolutions, I'm still stuck back in December. I was too busy to post about this when it happened but I really want it documented so I can read it  later (again and again and again!) as a reminder to myself.

'Twas the week before Christmas 
Still so much that's not done.
My list is still long, at least 101.
There are presents to wrap and
Gifts to be made.
And I still can't decide, 
Is that the right shade??
The cleaning and laundry,
Help! I've fallen behind.
There is cooking and baking
O where is my maid??

Then a message I see in my FaceBook world,
I should have expected this from such a wise girl.
"If your list is too long and your feeling all stressed,
Just give up the good and stick with the best."

The words stick in my mind as I go through my day,
I try to make sure that my children aren't missed.
To read them a story or give them a kiss,
To not get annoyed when the get in the way.
They are most important, of course that's what I say,
But is that how they feel at the end of the day? 


{I have no idea where all this rhyme-y stuff came from but that pretty much exhausts my earth shattering (pssht) talents. Back to plain ole English here.}


To be honest, I had a little argument with myself first.
"Who, Me??"
"I can do this!" 
"I mean, really my list isn't THAT long."
"Besides, everything on MY list IS important." 
"Maybe, I shouldn't have procrastinated so much the last 2 weeks."
"Well, maybe there is one or two things I could skip." =)

And of course in the end I realized that it really is silly to stay up until 2 a.m. so that we have cookies with sprinkles on them. (You guessed it, no one even missed em.) The fresh greens never got made into festive arrangements. They're still on a pile on the porch, at this very moment. And the presents were just as fun to open without big gaudy bows on them. I did however, make a few notes for next year.

#1. If you want to make homemade gifts it might be best to decide this in May rather than December.

one of this year's projects

#2.Those projects that look/seem so simple, still take time, not a ton of time but some time and it all adds up!

and another. simple and useful.

 #3. No matter how organized and intentional you are, someone is bound to throw something at you at the last minute that you weren't planning on so you might as well just plan some extra time for it. Can we say flexible? And hey, if not, there's always a hot cup of coffee willing to jump in and save you from total boredom.


this year's unexpected project:
"Mom, I need an Isaiah costume by Sunday."




Whoa. Bunny Trail. Back to my original story.
 By Wednesday I had decided what had to go and had made enough progress on the rest that I scheduled a lunch date with my boy on Thursday. We set out to grab a few last minute things from a couple of stores and then he chose our lunch destination. Little Brother was riding with Daddy so it was just me and little Mr. Quality Time. =)



Well, Little Miss Blue-Eyed-Cute-Stuff snuck along, but she didn't cause any trouble.


 And since it was a "real date" we tapped into our "holiday cheer" and splurged on a Happy Meal (the kind with a toy!) and a Bacon Ranch Chicken Sandwich. (That's pretty special coming from this Mama. I can usually get lunch for 4 of us for about $7. Luv that $ menu!)



And then we took plenty of time to play too. The boy loved it! The Mama loved it! 
Relaxing. Fun. Special.
This really is the Best (and the good can just wait!)


(And while I was busy relaxing I figured out something else.....I really need a room with glass walls in my house, so much better lighting for my shutterbug habit!)

No comments:

Post a Comment