Everydaymoments

Everydaymoments

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Master Bedroom Makeover

For almost two years our bedroom looked like this.

Ugh! ghostly white walls.  nail holes. scuff marks. chunks of missing plaster. barely enough room to walk around the bed. spiders. stink bugs. you get the idea. I've always thought that the Master Bedroom should be neat and inviting, a mini retreat from the craziness of a house full of kids. This is NOT what I was imagining, but what's a girl to do in a rental house?? So when we moved I determined that our bedroom would be at the top of the projects list!


  Even though the walls are not littered with nails and thumbtacks and the critters seem to be better controlled, that pale green had to go!!  I knew I wanted to do away with the blue and yellow (I never really like that anyway.) and my plan was to go with red. I love red! From there on things weren't so clear. There are only about 37,000 shades of red paint to choose from and they all look different in the paint sample rack than they do at home.


My sweet husband helped me revive our bought-second-hand-10-years-ago-slightly-abused-dressers with a fresh coat of black paint before we moved. It's amazing what $20 worth of paint can do!!

I would have like to update the drawer pulls but since there were 27 of them and since I couldn't find even one in the stores that would have fit, and since they cost $3, $4, or $5  a piece, that wasn't going to happen. So once again, Thank You $4 spray can! I used the rest of the can to spray my wicker hamper and trash can too.


I have to admit, the end results of the room, didn't come together quite like I was hoping but I haven't figured out what's missing or how to fix that.
In the end, (after some questioning along the way) I AM happy with the shade of red!

I was looking for curtains with a sheer layer over a heavier layer or maybe something with a black stitching design in them, but I couldn't come up with anything like that, so plain sailcloth will work for now. Someday maybe I'll get all creative and crafty and add some embellishments of my own. That's a pretty big MAYBE!



The contrast of the white woodwork with the dark walls is a little too much, I think. Especially since there are FOUR windows and THREE doors. But that paint is in great shape so I didn't take the time to paint over it now. Besides, I'm not really sure what color would be better.


I had purchased a tan bed spread at Target (for 70ish bucks) but I wasn't loving that one and then I found THIS one at the Salvation Army. And did I mention that it was half price day?? There were even matching pillow shams for the giant square pillows I already had. Just $2 more. I took the other bedspread back to Target and  for $9.50, I'm happy!!


The pillows were my most recent little creative project (and the reason it took so long to get this posted. The painting was done back in October.) I was super excited to find the black and white print fabric. I think it helps to pull everything together. I used it to cover the cushion on the cedar chest too. The black shams were a couple of bucks at GW. The red fabric was a sheet also from the GW, I added the (cheap) trim and made the silk fabric flowers. The small white pillow was made from an old t-shirt and the pillow forms were all just recovered from around here. I had to dig down pretty deep to find my craftiness, it hasn't been used in a LONG time, but they were really fun to make. I really think we need about 3-4 more pillows to complete the set. My hubby, on the other hand, has threatened to move to the couch. Apparently finding the bed in the evening and redecorating it in the morning are not a welcomed part of his routine.
I'm sure we can work this out! : )


One down, three to go!! The boys are begging me to do their rooms next but I'm feeling a lot more inspired about Kyra's room. No more projects before Christmas though!

4 comments:

  1. great job & a HUGE accomplishment! just 'cause i know how much work goes into a project like this! :) E

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the color theme-the room looks great & very much like a peaceful retreat. :) And the pillows are WAY cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I love red too! Cheers to you for all the hard work, it really is lovely! I am somewhat stunted in the decorating department, or maybe I can comfort myself and just say that I am overworked right now (and underpaid) and my creative juices are lying dormant. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gain your access to 16,000 woodworking plans.

    Teds Woodworking has more than 16,000 woodworking plans with STEP BY STEP instructions, drawings and blueprints to make each project easy and simple!!!

    ReplyDelete