Everydaymoments

Everydaymoments

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Church Picnic

It was our turn to plan our church's summer picnic this year. I use the word 'turn' loosely. My hubs and I calculated that we've helped to plan at least 7-8 of the 15 picnics since our church started. We've also carefully calculated what we will say next year if they ask us to do it again. "Nope, not happening."  I really don't mind planning it. It's a party after all, one of my specialties, and it's only for one day. I've gained lots of little tricks through the years but I'm also running out of new, creative ideas.



We had absolutely p.e.r.f.e.c.t. weather this year. 85 degrees. no humidity. a nice breeze and sunshine. The bottom line is, the weather makes it or breaks it. We've had years when we planned all kinds of fun games and big feasts and it was simply to hot to move. And then there was the year of the tropical storm which kind of put a damper on the whole wiffle ball tournament. (corny pun intended :)


Our best idea for "new and different" this year was to rent a Dunk Tank. It was a HIT!

Dunked by the Mrs.
I'm not sure which was longer, the line to dunk or the line to be dunked. 


 

Such good sports we have!
 Beware of what you initiate, you may be forced to participate!

 

 

And sometimes the dunk-er's reaction is even better than the dunkee's! He was helping to pick up the balls for another round when he bumped the trigger accidentally. OOPS!

I used craft paper for the tablecloth and then set out jars of markers for decorating. The kids (big and little) thought it was grand. And I used quart jars of candy for paper weights that double as the age old 'Guess How Many' game (proof of my taxed creative state!)



It's not a church picnic without soft ice cream. Mmm!


Kid's Games. (you might be able to pick out which kids in this church are my favorite)



Wiffle Ball



And of course FOOD.




We called on the expert BBQ-er and he taunted us all afternoon with 'that smell.' It was even more delicious than it looks and it sure made my job easier! I told you I've learned some things along the way.


Throw in some iced coffee, lawn chairs under a shade tree, friends and a good conversation and you've got yourself a party with something for everyone.


Special thanks to everyone who showed up, volunteered to bring food, entertained children, endured the port-o-john without complaint, and helped clean up the mess!

 Feel free to use any or all of these ideas if they call you to plan your church picnic next year, I won't be needing them!

No comments:

Post a Comment