I stumbled upon this poem in my web browsing the other day. It all sounds so familiar! It was new to me, but apparently I'm behind the times. And in my searching to post it here I found 2 different authors so I'm not sure who gets the credit. But it makes me smile all the same.
If You Give a Mom a Muffin
If you give a mom a muffin,
She'll want a cup of coffee to go with it.
So she'll pour herself some.
The coffee will get spilled by her three year old.
She'll wipe it up.
Wiping the floor, she will find some dirty socks.
She'll remember she has to do some laundry.
When she puts the laundry in the washer,
She'll trip over some snow boots and bump into the freezer.
Bumping into the freezer will remind her she has to plan supper for tonight.
She will get out a pound of hamburger.
She'll look for her cookbook. (101 Things To Make With a Pound of
Hamburger.)
The cookbook is sitting under a pile of mail.
She will see the phone bill which is due tomorrow.
She will look for the checkbook.
The checkbook is in her purse that is being dumped out by her two year old.
She'll smell something funny.
She'll change the two year old.
While she is changing the two year old the phone will ring. (Of course!)
Her five year old will answer it and hang up.
She remembers that she wants to phone a friend to come over for coffee on
Friday.
Thinking of coffee will remind her that she was going to have a cup.
She will pour herself some.
And chances are,
If she has a cup of coffee,
Her kids will have eaten the muffin that went with it.
***********************************************
After I linked it to my FB page and finished my cup of coffee (without any spills) I set out to begin my day. First on the list was scrubbing the bathroom that hadn't been scrubbed in.....wellllll.......um......a much longer time than bathrooms should go without scrubbing. :)
This is the story I told my husband when he came home......
I started to clean the toilet but I realized I didn't have any toilet cleaner. So I went to the laundry to get the bleach. While I was in the laundry I spotted the old tablecloth that I had put in the hamper but I knew if I washed it again it would fall to pieces so I decided to take it out to the trash barrel. On my way in from the trash barrel I noticed that the hose was hooked up on the back porch and my itty bitty garden looked a little parched, so I decided to give it a quick drink.
While I was doing the garden I figured I should do the flowers too, at least what I could reach with the hose that was there. I started to water the flowers but I just couldn't stand that nasty, mossy, green, stuff, that had been growing on the siding since the day we moved in, any longer. So I picked up the scrub brush that was laying nearby and tackled the siding.
But by then I was at the corner and my hose was getting short. The only thing to do was take it up over the porch railing and cut off the corner so I could reach more flowers. But guess what, when you drag a hose across a porch you suddenly notice that it could really use a wash down too. After the porch was washed off I continued around to the other side of the house to water more flowers. But there was icky, mossy, green stuff on that side too. More scrub brush. More rinsing. More scrubbing. Finally, I could make my hose stretch no farther.
But by now my children had realized that the hose was on and they were sure it would be the perfect time to fill the kiddie pool. Once we filled the kiddie pool we needed to find swim suits for everybody and then I had to help little people wrestle sweaty bodies into almost too tight elastic. And then while everyone (yes, all 5 of them) was happily splashing I went inside and cleaned my toilet.
True Story! I told you that poem sounded familiar, didn't I? I think I have what's known as "DMD"--Distracted Mom Disorder. It's what makes me give my children instruction only to realize 3 hours (or 3 days) later that they chose to ignore them. It's why I can never predict how long it will take me to get ready to leave. It's why I go to the grocery store for 4 items and come home with 24, but none of them are what I really went for. It's the reason I'm becoming more and more of a "lister" over the past year or two. There is no known cure to date.
Now where did I sit my cup of coffee?
No comments:
Post a Comment