It's been about 6 weeks since I wrote the last "Moving On" post. It seems like a couple of years!! Really, I've had about enough drama for a REEEEElly long time!! I kept thinking "I'll post when I have something definite to report." Well, this has become the summer of hanging in limbo for us!
It was only about a week after that post that I called my husband and said, "I think I know why we just 'wasted' all that time. There is a new house on the market that looks like just what we're looking for." We went to look at it a few days later. It was not as perfect in real life as it sounded but we decided to pursue it anyway. We put an offer on it and waited over a week before they accepted it. The inspection produced a hefty list of things that needed to be fixed. We were afraid to hope that they would be willing to work with us on that long of a list.
One by one we heard that 'this' was finished, 'that' was being worked on....etc. The biggest problem is the peeling paint of the porch and eaves. It needs to be repaired by a 'certified lead based paint remover.' They are scheduled to be there the first week in September. After the painting is finished it will need to be reinspected before we can move in.
In the meantime, our landlord has been most workable!! We found out that the people who want to move in are a couple of single guys, only one of which needs a place to move too by the end of August. They told us they'd like us out by Labor Day weekend but they would try to work with us. The landlord said he thought said single guy could move back in with his parents for a few weeks if needed. I said, "wouldn't that be simpler, for him to move his backpack and sleeping bag back to his parents house, than for me to move my family of 7 into a camper for a month?" Yeah, it's seems pretty clear to me, but in the end it's their house, they call the shots.
So all along we've been hearing positive things off and on but frankly, we were just not gonna be convinced until we had some REALLY good reasons. Maybe our faith isn't strong enough, or maybe we're just finally learning to be realistic about this stuff, I don't know.
The biggest pressure for us all along (since our landlord wasn't pushing) was the fact that we have two kids who are required by state law to be in school. School starts very soon, do we enroll them back where they were and then move them in a couple of weeks or do we send them to new schools. What if something doesn't work out again, then they move twice. That's not cool. We're planning to send T to Christian school for the first this year. Tuesday evening we took him to visit and he is really excited about the whole idea. We're excited about it too! I've always had a problem with the fact that my kids are gone 7 plus hours a day for school plus homework when they get back. Don't get me wrong, I think education is extremely important!! It's just that I have homeschooling friends who can be done in 2-3 hours a day and I just think it's super important for kids to have time to be kids too! It just seems a little off balance to me. Anyway, I'm excited that at least now I will know that some of those many hours he is gone will be filled with Bible memory, chapel, bible lessons, etc. Z will be back in public school where he can get the extra helps he needs. There is still MUCH paperwork to be sorted through in the next week.
As of today, we again have word from the landlord that they will work with us as needed. We have another update on what's happening at the house. Water tests and insect tests came back with a need for some attention (more things to fix) but it looks like they are going ahead with those. Apparently these people are far more serious about selling their house then the last people were! Tentative plans are for settlement on September 16th, which just so happens to be my birthday. Yeah, a house for my birthday, that'd be nice! The house is in fairly good shape inside. I have some ideas of things I'd like to do to make the inside 'ours,' to give a few walls a fresh coat of paint..... But we don't plan to do any of that before we move in. We'll just aim to get our paraphernalia out of here as fast as possible!
| This is the backyard! Any volunteers to help with bushwhacking gratefully accepted! |
A HUGE Thank You! to all of you who have Prayed, cared and walked through this crazy journey with us! It has meant so much to have people surrounding us and supporting us through it all! Please don't stop Praying yet, though. There are still loose ends that make us nervous. There are still places for God to show Himself strong. And I haven't decided if this news makes my life more CRAZY or less. Mentally it's a weight lifted but physically it's time to make some serious tracks and get those boxes stackin!! While adapting back to school schedules and transitioning to new schools. Yeah, a few prayers wouldn't hurt!
yea! 'Our God is bigger, our God is stronger, our God is higher than anything...!' the house looks VERY fascinating!
ReplyDeletehey Rachel....haven't commented before because of my technological handicaps, but after talking to you yesterday and seeing these pics...i'm so happy and excited for you on this new adventure! the house looks awesome!!!!
ReplyDelete